If you’re a cannabis connoisseur (or even if you’re not), you’ve probably heard of vaporizing, also known as vaping. This is a popular way to consume cannabis because it’s convenient, discreet, and easy. But if you’ve never tried vaping, you may be wondering exactly what it is and if it’s right for you. Read on to learn more about vaping and how to choose the best vaporizers that money can buy.
What is Vaporizing?
Vaping cannabis is the process of inhaling cannabis vapors. These vapors are created by heating either the flower or cannabis oil, rather than by burning the plant as you would with smoking. This makes vaping a preferred cannabis delivery system for people who are sensitive to harsh smoke. Vaporizing is also growing in popularity as nationwide regulations around cannabis relax because carrying a vape pen is often easier than using cannabis flower.
A Brief History of Vaporizing
Traditionally, cannabis has been smoked in a pipe. This is still a popular method of consuming cannabis and has been used for hundreds of years. While smoking plants like tobacco and cannabis in a hookah pipe have also been popular for centuries, this isn’t the same as modern vaping, as it involves inhaling water vapor as opposed to heated oil.
Eagle Bill is often referred to as the father of the modern vaporizer because he popularized one of the first commercial vaporizers available, the Eagle Bill Shake & Vape. In the early 21st century, devices like the desk vaporizer and the vape pen became more commonplace in the consumer market. Now, these devices are nearly ubiquitous, because they’re easily rechargeable. The popularity of vaping will continue to grow exponentially in the coming years.
What is More Potent: Vape vs. Flower
One of the biggest questions that cannabis smokers have about vaping is whether it’s more potent. Research shows that vaping vs. smoking definitely produces different effects, especially for infrequent users. This means that if you’re just starting with vaping, you may want to start small and work your way up. Even if you do smoke often, it’s smart to be conservative when vaping and give yourself a chance to see how it affects you. Many vape users find that they enjoy the effects produced by vaping as opposed to smoking.
What are Vaporizers?
Vaporizers are devices that are used to heat either cannabis flower or cartridges of cannabis oil so that the vapors can be inhaled. These devices come in many forms, but most of them essentially function the same. Today, many of the most popular vaporizers use oil. The oil used in these devices usually comes in cartridges (or “carts”) and is made of concentrated cannabis, which makes vaping a powerful and fast way to deliver a dose of cannabis.
How are Vaporizers Made?
Vaporizers are made to deliver either convective or conductive heat. Conductive heat heats the flower or oil directly, while conductive heat heats the air, and moves the hot air around the cannabis. Vaporizers are created with careful temperature controls, so you can smoke at a lower or higher temperature depending on your preference.
Anatomy of a Vape
When you look at and use a typical vape pen, it may seem like it’s a complicated piece of tech. How exactly does it work? When examining the pen more closely, you may begin to see the distinct parts, like:
- Mouthpiece: This is where you place your mouth when inhaling. It can be made from glass, silicone, or plastic. These mouthpieces are often replaceable and come in many colors, shapes, and sizes.
- Cartridge: This is the part that houses the cannabis oil. Cartridges can be disposable or reusable. Sometimes cartridges are called tanks or carts.
- Heating Element: Many vape pens have what’s called an atomizer, which is a heating element inside of ceramic or steel housing.
- Power Button: Some vaporizers have a button that you have to press as you’re inhaling to activate the vape. Others are activated when you draw on the pen. In many cases, the power button will also let you cycle through temperatures, so you can choose which is right for your needs.
- Battery: Most vape pens have a rechargeable battery, which can be charged through a USB port.
These are the basic elements that make up a vape pen.
What are the Different Types of Vapes?
When you think of a vape, you may think of the small, handheld devices that you can discreetly stick in your purse or pocket. However, there are a few different types you should be aware of, which we’ll explore below.
- Handheld Vaporizer: A handheld vaporizer is small, usually about the size and shape of a lighter or a pen. These types of vaporizers are popular because they’re easy to carry and conceal, and can be taken just about anywhere.
- Disposable Vaporizer: Disposable vaporizers are preloaded with cannabis oil. When you use up the oil in the vape, you can toss the whole thing. These are a great choice for someone who is just starting with vaping and wants to see if it’s right for them. They don’t have to commit to buying a vaporizer without testing vaping first.
- Desktop Vaporizer: Desktop vaporizers are larger forms of vaporizers, but they have advantages over their smaller counterparts. Nearly all desktop vaporizers heat the cannabis through convection, which improves the potency and flavor of the vapor.
What is a Cannabis Vape Cartridge and what are the Different Types?
A vape cartridge is a glass cartridge that comes pre-filled with cannabis oil, usually in one gram or half-gram sizes. This oil is made to contain different combinations and concentrations of cannabinoids and terpenes extracted from the cannabis flower. While many vape carts are high in THC, CBD-dominate carts are becoming more and more popular.
Vape cartridges come in a few different forms, which we’ll explore below.
- 510 Cartridge: This is the most common type of cartridge and is standard in many vape pens. You can buy 510 cartridges pre-filled or refillable, which means you can always use your oil of choice.
- Distillate vs. CO2 Cartridges: There are a few different extraction methods used to create cannabis oil. Two of these methods are CO2 extraction or distillate. During CO2 extraction, the cannabis is washed with liquid CO2, separating the cannabinoids and terpenes from the rest of the plant. To create distillate, CBD or THC is heated to the boiling point, and then vapors are collected.
Both of these extraction methods are a great way to create a potent cannabis oil, and which you prefer all comes down to your personal preference.
- Terpene-Infusions and Strain-Specific Cartridges: Strain-specific cartridges are types of cartridges made from a specific strain of cannabis. Terpene infusions are distillates that have been infused with or retained their natural terpene profile to improve the flavor, aroma, and effects of the oils.
What are the Best Vape Brands of 2021?
So now that you know more about what vaporizers are and how they work, it’s time to explore some of the best products available on the market. When you have a good idea of what you’re looking for, it’s easier to dive comfortably into the world of vapes. Below, we’ll look at the best vape brands of 2021 so you can get started on your vaping journey.
Pax offers a wide variety of handheld, portable vaporizers, including the Pax 2, the Pax 3, the Pax Era Pro, and the Pax Era Life. All Pax vaporizers are stylish and discreet and come in a variety of colors. With the Pax 3, you can use either concentrate or loose flower, which is great for users who like to use both. Pax vapes use Era pods.
Stiiizy offers both reusable and disposable portable vapes. Stiiizy offers vapes with their regular battery, or their BIIIG battery, which gives you more charge, so your device will last longer. Stiiizy has original pods, live resin pods, and terpene pods.
Binske offers stylish disposable vapes, which will give you around 250 puffs. They also have a vape pen starter kit. Binske is a great brand for starters, as they offer everything you need all in one brand.
AiroPro vaporizers make vaping even easier. These vaporizers don’t have buttons or switches, simply inhale to activate. And AiroPro cartridges are magnetic, which makes it simple to switch out carts when the time comes.
Like the AiroPro, the Vapen vapes are activated when you inhale. This means you don’t have to fumble with buttons when you want to take a hit. The batteries on Vapen vapes can last hundreds of hits before you need to recharge.
Matrix’s pure cannabis oil pens are also known as dab pens. These dab pens come in lots of different strains so you can get the effects of dabbing in a more portable format.
City Trees offers both disposable pens and reusable pens and has carts that come in many blends. Give City Trees a try to see what’s right for you.
What are the Best Vape Cartridges in 2021?
Now that you’re familiar with some popular brands, ready to get started with a vaporizer? Once you choose the brand you like, you’ll want to explore all the available cartridges. Many of the brands mentioned above offer a variety of different concentrations and variety so you can experiment to find what’s right for you.
Pax pods are one of the most popular brands of cartridges on the market today. You can use them in Pax devices. Try some of the popular pods at Thrive like Sugar Diesel or Sweet Pink live resin by Matrix.
Old Pal’s Strawberry Banana cart offers a fruity twist on your vaping routine. Smooth flavors and aromas make relaxing and vaping cannabis even more enjoyable.
Select carts are one of the best-selling cartridges on the market. They strive to create a safe, smooth product that people around the country enjoy for medical or recreational purposes.
Are Vaporizers Safe?
Even though vapes are a popular way to use cannabis, many people are still hesitant to try them because they’re worried about safety. Of course, it’s always a smart idea to consider your health before vaping, another big reason that vaporizers are becoming more popular is that they are thought to be safer than inhaling harsh smoke from pipes or bongs. Vaporizers are often thought of as a healthier alternative to smoking so that you can continue to enjoy the effects of cannabis without worrying about distressing symptoms like coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath, and other side effects.
If you enjoy smoking cannabis, there’s no downside to trying vaping. In fact, there’s a good chance you might like vaping even more!
The Difference Between Vaporizing and Smoking Cannabis
What makes vaporizing different from smoking is the fact that when you vape, you’re inhaling vapor as opposed to inhaling smoke. This means you’ll be inhaling fewer harmful components like tar. When you smoke cannabis, some of the beneficial compounds found in the plant are burned away. When you vape, on the other hand, you are in control of the temperature. With lower temperatures, you can enjoy more of the benefits of cannabis.
Find the Best Vapes of 2021 at Thrive Cannabis Marketplace Dispensaries
When you’re interested in trying vaping cannabis, it might be a little intimidating at first. It’s important to choose a brand that understands the products they’re selling and strives to educate their customers about the products available. Thrive Cannabis Marketplace is dedicated to your health and wellbeing and wants to help you find the best products for your lifestyle! We understand the importance of buying cannabis vaporizers from a trusted source, and we want to be your one-stop shop for all your cannabis vaporizing needs.
Check out the wide variety of products we offer or visit one of our four convenient locations in Las Vegas or our location in Reno, Nevada. We also offer curbside pickup, delivery, and drive-thru services at select locations – which makes getting your products even easier and more convenient!